Sign In

Forgot Password Create Account
Stock# 61966
Description

A remarkable early tourist map of Spa, locating its principal buildings, housing for foreigners and public promenades.

The map was printed by Freres Caro in Liege and Spa for "Chez F. J. Desoer imprimeur Libraire à la Croix d'or, sur le Pont-d'Isle, "

Spa

The famed healing cold springs of Spa have been frequented as a watering-place since as early as the 14th century. Spa has become eponymous with any place having a natural water source that is believed to possess special health-giving properties, as a spa. 

The "ban Spa", was created around 1335 and included two urban concentrations, "vilhe of Creppe" and "vilhe" Spas. The steel industry prior to the exploitation of mineral water developed communication lines, which made it possible to develop the spa town.

Pliny the Elder noted "In Tongrie, country of Gaul,[citation needed] there is a famous source, whose water, while sparkling bubbles, a ferruginous taste that is, however, feel that when we finished drinking. This water purges the body, cures fevers and dispels calculous affections."(C lib. XXXI VIII).

In 1559 there appeared in the famous work of Gilbert Lymborh "Acid fountains of the Ardennes forest and primarily those located in Spa." It was translated into Latin, Italian and Spanish.

As early as 1547, Agustino, physician to the King of England, Henry VIII, was staying at Spa and helped give knowledge to the world of the value of the Spa water. In July 1565. the gentry of the provinces met in Spa under the pretext of taking the waters.

In 1654, Charles II of England stayed at Spa, which made the place even more famous. A postal system between Spa and the outside world was established in 1699.

Since the 18th century casinos have also been located in the town.