One of the Earliest Settlements in Oregon
Rare separately published view of Albany, in Linn County, Oregon.
Includes an interesting smaller view of the Albany Sand Stone Quarry and Allen & Goff's Electric Light Stations, along with the unusual views of businesses, churches and residences.
The present example has a pastedown label of Tweedale & Redfield, real estate agents.
Albany is the county seat of Linn County. The first settler in the area was Abner Hackleman of Iowa in 1845, followed by Walter Monteith and Thomas Monteith in 1847. Albany's first school house was constructed in 1851. On January 8, 1850, a post office was established in Albany, with John Burkhart assigned as the first Postmaster.[ The town was renamed "New Albany" on November 4, 1850, but the name was changed back to Albany in 1853. In 1851, Albany was designated as the county seat, replacing Calapooia (near modern day Brownsville and Sweet Home).
In 1871, the first railroad reached Albany. The world's longest wooden railroad drawbridge was built in 1888 for the Albany-Corvallis run.
The view is extremely rare. Repps locates 1 copy.