Bright, Colorful Exhibition Poster Celebrating the Fifth Biennial Art Exposition at the Museum of Fine Arts in Alexandria
Decorative poster trumpeting the newly-constructed Alexandria Museum of Fine Arts. It features a red hand holding an abstract white head. Below the hand is a body of water with a lighthouse emerging from it.
The title of this poster is in French, with two dates written underneath the hand: 12 December 1963 and 31 March 1964. The dates and title are reiterated in Arabic. Published in 1963, this piece commemorates the fifth biennial exposition at the museum, and the dates are the opening and closing of the events.
The museum’s physical location was established in 1936 when French trader Baron de Menasha devoted a villa to house the Alexandria Municipal Authority’s existing art collection. During World War II, the building was destroyed, but the artworks remained in another museum until Egyptian architect Foad Abd Elmageed designed the Museum of Fine Arts in 1952.
This poster would appeal to those interested in Egypt and the Middle East, fine arts, and commemorative posters.