Extremey rare plan for what would become the Holborn Viaduct, drawn 40 years prior to its completion.
We note only the example at the British Museum.
Holborn Viaduct is a road bridge, linking Holborn, via Holborn Circus, with Newgate Street, in the City of London financial district, passing over Farringdon Street (shown on the map) and the subterranean River Fleet. The viaduct spans the steep-sided Holborn Hill and the River Fleet valley at a length of 1,400 feet and 80 feet wide. It was built between 1863 and 1869, as a part of the Holborn Valley Improvements, which included a public works scheme which, at a cost of over £2 million. The project improved access into the City from the West End, with better traffic flow and distribution around the new Holborn Circus, the creation of Queen Victoria Street, the rebuilding of Blackfriars Bridge, the opening of the Embankment section into the City, the continuation of Farringdon Street as Farringdon Road and associated railway routes with Farringdon station and Ludgate Hill station. It was opened by Queen Victoria at the same time as the inauguration of the other thoroughfares with a formal coach drive procession in November 1869.
The full title is:
Plan and elevation of a proposed suspension bridge at Holborn, to improve the traffic flow between Holborn Hill and Skinner Street; with two cross sections of Butment Piers. 1828 . . .in the middle of the Road for the purpose of improving the communication (by avoiding the Present Hills) between Holborn Hill & Skinner Street, for Vehicles (only) of every description; at the same time that it admits the traffic up and down the HIlls as at present, both through, and along side, the piers: being an extension & an improvement of a former design / Submitted to the Common Council of the City of London in December 1828, and referred to the Sub-improvement Committee by T. F. Taylor Archt & Surveyor, 7, Salisbury Street, Strand".
Includes extnsive notes on plan, and measurements at bottom, as well as the estimated cost
- Estimated Cost of Bridge £23,000
- ditto of the Sacrifice of Propoerty on the North side of the Bridge £17,000
- Total Cost £40,000
LIthographied On Stone by Schouten and printed by W. Day lith 17 Gate St Linc Inn Fd.
We located only the example at the British Museum, acquired in 1877.