Mount Morris Park - Central Harlem
A fine example Francis Nicholson's rare 1848 cadastral map of the Mount Morris Park historic district - the only specific map of this area to appear in the 19th century.
The map depicts the region from Eighth Avenue to Fourth Avenue and from 127th Street to 116th Street. Streets and avenues are identified and all the buildings and city blocks are numbered. Harlem Creek, which has long since been buried under the development of Manhattan, is illustrated. Manuscript notations in red ink illustrate the land holdings of Abraham Bussing, John Bussing, and Adolph Bussing.
This map was created by Francis Nicholson and published after his death in 1848. It is of considerable rarity. The OCLC identifies only one example at the New York Historical Society and we are aware of another example at the Museum of the City of New York.