Including the Jewish Synagogues and Mosque of Kochi
Finely engraved image of the town of of Kochi, a major port city on the west coast of India.
Kochi has been considered as the center of the Indian spice trade for centuries. It was first founded by the Portuguese in 1500, but in 1700, the fort was taken over by the Dutch.
While not clearly delineated, the structures here would likely include both Synagogues (there were three) and a Mosque.
Jakob van der Schley was a skilled draftsman and engraver who operated out of Amsterdam and had strong ties with the Hague. He was trained by Bernard Picart and his style resembles that of the elder man. Van der Schely was known for intricately engraved portraits and frontispieces. He signed most of the plates used in the Hague edition of the Abbe Prevost's Histoire generale des voyages.