This item has been sold, but you can enter your email address to be notified if another example becomes available.
WWI Era Map of the Sinai Peninsula, Gulf of Suez, etc.
Detailed map the Sinai Peninsula, Egypt and the Gulf of Suez and Gulf of Akaba, published by the War Office and sold by Geographia Ltd.
The map was issued shortly after the raid on the Suez Canal, in early 1915 after a German-led Ottoman Army force advanced from Southern Palestine to attack the British Empire-protected Suez Canal, before the beginning of the Sinai and Palestine Campaign of World War I.
The map includes up to dates routes of explorers in the region, including:
- Cailliaud & Letrozec (1819-20)
- Holland (1867)
- Schweinfurth (1876-87)
- Lyons (1891)
- Lyons (1894)
- Beadnell (1897)
- Ball & Vuta (1897)
- Blancken horn & Sill (1898)
- Hume & Green (1909)
- Shakespear (1914)
Other things on the map include:
- Railways (completed and under construction)
- Roads (3 classes)
- Marshes (fresh water and salt water)
- Perennial and non-perennial rivers
- Permanent sprints and wells
- Telegraphs along roads
- Telegraphs not along roads
- Telegraph and Telephone offices.
Dissected and laid on linen, with original covers.