Sign In

Forgot Password Create Account
Stock# 59703
Description

Early 19th-Century Manuscript Maps and Court Papers Concerning the Disposition of Lands on the Mohawk River in New York.

Together, two manuscript map sheets, showing thousands of acres of land on the Mohawk River.

One of the maps shows lot numbers 57-61 and others, with a long manuscript letter attached on the verso, authenticating the map, signed by John Savage of the New York Supreme Court.

The parcels of land were part of an 18th-century grant to Colonial Governor of New York and New Jersey William Cosby around what is now Utica, New York. Wikipedia notes of Cosby's Manor:

King George II gave Cosby a land grant on 2 January 1734, of 22,000 acres on the Mohawk River, in what became Herkimer County, New York, and named Cosby's Manor later (19 February 1736). The grant, sold in 1772 to Philip Schuyler and four other proprietors, included the later sites of Utica and Schuyler, New York.

Cosby was promoted to vice admiral on 29 September 1735, and to brigadier general on 30 November 1735, while serving as royal governor.

The group of papers also includes a table of land transactions in the areas covered.

An important document covering a period when this part of New York was still very much on the frontier of the United States.