Scarce map of Florida, showing the progress of surveys by the GLO to 1844. Highly detailed. Includes remarkable detail in the Southern Part of the State for such and early map, including Ft. Hawell, Ft. Dulaney, Ft. Thomson, Ft. T.E. Adams, Ft. Deynaud; Ft. Center, Ft. Lloyd, Ft. Van Swearingen, Ft. Bassinger, Ft. Jupiter, Ft. Pierce, Ft. Dallas, Ft. Lauderdale, Old Fort, the Light House on Key Biscayne, Ft. Poinsett, and some early battle notes. Shows the extent of the state surveys to that date.
The General Land Office (GLO) refers to the independent agency in the United States that was in charge of public domain lands. Created in 1812, it assumed the responsibilities for public domain lands from the United States Department of the Treasury. The Treasury had overseen the survey of the Northwest Territory, but as more area was added to the United States, a new agency was necessary to survey the new lands.
Eventually, the GLO would be responsible for the surveying, platting, and sale of the majority of the land west of the Mississippi, with the exception of Texas. When the Secretary of the Interior was created in 1849, the GLO was placed under its authority. Until the creation of the Forest Service in 1905, the GLO also managed forest lands that had been removed from public domain. In additional to managing the fees and sales of land, the GLO produced maps and plans of the areas and plots they surveyed. In 1946, the GLO merged with the United States Grazing Service to become the Bureau of Land Management.