Detailed map of the "Hermitage Tract", between Geneseo and Groveland, New York.
The map is oriented with east at the top. The map shows a stretch of Canaseraga Creek, just south its confluence with the Genesse River.
The map locates 27 tracts of land which have been sold (with owners named and acres purchased), and notes 8 unsold lots, plus another 5 unsold lots in C. H. Carton's tract and another 3 flat parcels west of the Caneseraga Lake. The lands of each of the landowners is carefully plotted, along with roads, and creeks.
Hermitage Tract, Groveland, New York
In 1800 Major Charles Carroll, Colonel William Fitzhugh and Colonel Nathaniel Rochester purchased the “hundred acre tract” at the falls of the Genesee, and called it Rochesterville. From there they came up the valley and purchased the site of Williamsburg and the Hermitage Tract, embracing in all 12,000 acres.
The Hermitage had been the site of a settlement dating back to the 1790s.
Provenance: Ex-Rochester Historical Society, purchased from Cottone Auctions in December 2018.