Rare two sheet map of Albensis (Fejér) in Hungary by Janor Pongratz.
The map is centered on Székesfehérvár with the Danube River at the right, intersecting the towns of Buda and Pest.
The name Stuhlweißenburg appears in pencil in the title. Stuhlweißenburg translates in English as White Castle. Székesfehérvár, is known colloquially as Fehérvár (white castle in Hungarian) and İstolni Belgrad ( also white castle in Ottoman Turkish).
Pongratz was an Hungarian engraver and military cartographer and served as a lieutenant in the second Royal Imperial Artillery Regiment. He also produced a map of Germany in 6 sheets, and a post road map of Europe which was published by Tranquillo Mollo in Vienna.
Engraved by Ferenc Karacs (1770-1838), an Hungarian engraver who studied at Debrecen, Pest and Vienna. He learned his engraving technique at the workshop of Junker and Czetter. He became famous and was invited to work in St. Petersburg, Russia by the Czar, but declined and worked mainly from Pest where he was the first to set up a printing press capable of the production of large-size map sheets from copperplate engravings.