The Liberation of Székesfehérvár and Surrender of The Ottoman Command
Rare separately published plan of Alba Reale (Székesfehérvàr) southwest of Budapest, published by Arnold van Westerhus in Rome in 1688.
The town is shown largely surrounded by water, with extensive fortified walls and defensive ramparts. A number of minarets are shown in and around the town.a reflection of the 150 year occupation of Székesfehérvár by the Ottomans.
The map shows the liberation of the city on May 19, 1688. The key identifies the city, major landmarks, gates, bridges, etc..
The map illustrates the ceremonial surrender of the forces led by Achmet Visir, the commander of the Jannisaries, and Osman Zagargibass to the Hungarian and German commanding officers in the right foreground, with the departure of the 4000 Ottoman soldiers from the city and their wagon caravan leaving via the main gates of the city, under the watchful eye of the liberating forces.
Székesfehérvár was built on the islands of Sárvíz's swamps and consisted of four parts: the castle, north of the Buda suburb, west of Nova Civitas, the so-called Sziget, and south of Nova Villa. The Ottomans conquered Székesfehérvàr following the Siege of 1543, despite a valiant effort to defend the city, led by György Varkoch.
With the exception of a short period during 1601 when Székesfehérvár was taken by Lawrence of Brindisi, the city remained under Ottoman control until 1688.
After taking Székesfehérvàr, the Ottomans destroyed most of the city. They re-named the city Belgrade, built mosques a number of mosques and essentially converted the appearance to that of a Muslim city. Most of the Christian population fled during this period. The City became a sanjak center in Budin Province as "İstolni Belgrad" during Ottoman rule.
The re-capture of the city was led by Count of Batthyány Ádám of Dunántúl and Count Captain of Count Udvari, and was supported by thousands of Hungarian Hussars and Hajdú, along with the support of the Holy League, Colonel Baron Ariezaga in command of approximately one thousand German soldiers.
The combined force arrived in Székesfehérvár on April 29, 1688. The Hungarians were in front of the northern gate of Buda, and the Germans were in the north-east direction of Keresztes. After a siege of nearly 2 weeks, the Ottoman forces abandoned Székesfehérvár, leaving behind 79 cannon and a large supply of weapons.
The view is apparently very rare. We were unable to locate any other examples.