A Provocative American Frontier Image
A clever pictorial image showing a Christian Missionary on horseback, in the style of a cowboy on the prairie, riding toward the newly opened Cherokee Strip of Oklahoma Territory.
The map illustrates the features article for the August 25, 1900 Christian Standard, which includes a 2 page article on the Opening of the Cherokee Strip and Christian missionary progress in the region.
We were not able to locate information on the artist, listed simply as Albers, del., in the image.
The Cherokee Outlet, often mistakenly referred to as the Cherokee Strip, was located in the northern part of Oklahoma Territory. It was a sixty-mile wide strip of land south of the Oklahoma-Kansas border between the 96th and 100th meridians. It was about 225 miles long and included the largest towns of Enid and Woodward.
The Cherokee Strip was a two-mile strip running along the northern border of much of the Cherokee Outlet, and it was the result of a surveying error. This section of land was known as the Cherokee Strip but the term has often been applied to the whole of the Cherokee Outlet.
In 1889, Congress authorized the Cherokee Commission to persuade the Cherokee to cede their complete title to the Cherokee Outlet. This resulted in a treaty which Congress approved March 17, 1893. In it, the Cherokee agreed, for "the sum of $8,595,736.12, over and above all other sums" to turn title over to the United States government. On September 16, 1893, the eastern end of the Cherokee Outlet was settled in the so-called Cherokee Strip land run, the largest land run in the United States and possibly the largest event of its kind in the history of the world.
Long before its settlement, American Missionaries had established missions and ties to the region, which were set up to convert the resident Indian Tribes. The Cherokee Outlet run included a number of people acting on behalf of various Christian Missions, acquiring land which was used to establish churches in each of the principal towns.
The Christian Standard is a religious periodical associated with the Restoration Movement, which was established in 1866. The Standard began focusing on a particular branch of the movement, the Christian churches and churches of Christ, in the second half of the 20th century and became the most influential of the movement publications among those churches.
The Standard was founded in Cleveland, Ohio by W.S. Streator, W.J. Ford, J.P. Robinson, T.W. Phillips, C.M. Phillips, G.W.M. Yost, James A. Garfield and Isaac Errett, with Errett serving as the editor. The effort was not financially successful, and after two years Errett agreed to take over the venture along with its debts. It was the flagship of Standard Publishing.
Under the leadership of Errett, who became the first president of the Foreign Christian Missionary Society, the Standard strongly supported the cause of missionary societies. During the early 20th century the Standard took an editorial stance against modernism and liberalism, and opposed the acceptance of "open membership" by the United Christian Missionary Society.
This is the first time we have ever seen this map.