Sign In

Forgot Password Create Account
Stock# 57895
Description

Puducherry at the time of its Capture by the English in 1761

Scarce early plan of the area around Puducherry, from Raspe's Schauplatz des Gegenwaertigen Kriegs...

Shows fortifications, the Hospitals, Jesuit Church, Capuchine Church, English Church, Batteries, Bastions, Gardens, the Company House, Market, etc.

In 1674, the French East India Company set up a trading center at Puducherry. This outpost eventually became the chief French settlement in India. Dutch and British trading companies also wanted trade with India. Wars raged among these European countries and spilled over into the Indian subcontinent. The Dutch captured Puducherry in 1693 but returned it to France by the Treaty of Ryswick in 1699.

The French acquired Mahe in the 1720s, Yanam in 1731, and Karaikal in 1738. During the Anglo-French wars (1742–1763), Puducherry changed hands frequently. On January 16, 1761, the British captured Puducherry from the French, but the Treaty of Paris (1763) at the conclusion of the Seven Years' War returned it.