With Manuscript Annotations Showing Proposed Harbor Improvements
Detailed map of part of the City of Chicago, from Jackson Park to the Colehour Yard area, prepared by the United States Corps of Topographical Engineers in 1892.
The map is centered near the lands of the Illinois Steel Company and National Smelting & Refining Co. The U.S.L.S. Station and U.S. Engineers Building are also shown near the mouth of the Calumet River. Further south, the location of the Chicago Ship Building Company is shown.
The map is extra illustrated in yellow and red, identifying an area in the vicinity of Calumet Harbor, noting:
- Dock Line Established Jan 25, 1899 By The Secretary of War
- Breakwater Contracted For
- Proposed Breakwater
In 1899, the construction of a breakwater to create an artificial harbor at the entrance to the Calumet River was authorized. Starting from a point roughly a half mile north of the river’s entrance, the breakwater, formed of timber cribs capped by concrete, projects east into the lake for about 4,000 feet before bending to the southeast.