A View of Jerusalem From The North
Fine lithographic view of Jerusalem, based upon the original artwork of Johann Martin Bernatz, lithographed in Munich by Emminger.
J. M. Bernatz accompanied the German physcia and naturalist Gotthilf Heinrich von Schubert (1780-1860) as painter and draftsman on his journey through Constantinople through Asia Minor, Palestine and the Sinai Peninsula to Egypt.
The English text below the image reads:
The nearest building with a cupola and chimney is Turkish bath; the walls and arches behind this surround the pool of Bethesda. On the left of the palm tree rises teh great mosque of Omar built on the post where Soloman's temple once stood to the extreme left is the mosque Alisa, formerly the church of Christ's presentation in the temple. The hill with a ruin on the top, behind the town, is the mount of evil counsel: further on the right and in the highest part of the city is the Armenian church and further to the right of this two flat towers forming part of David's castle the two cupolas standing behind each other and the tapering minaret to the right, belong to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.