A New Orleans Rarity Issued Just Prior To The Creation of the Three Municipalities
Unrecorded plan of New Orleans, dated 1834.
The map shows the New Orleans on the Northwest side of the Mississippi River, with only a Highway on the opposite side of the River. The city is divided into a center area simply identified as "New Orleans"and neighboring Fauburgs (suburbs) including L'Anunciati, De La Course, Solet, Du Planiter, St. Marie, Fauburg Marigny and New Fauburg Marigny, and Daunois. Above the city proper is an area labled City Pastures.
Of note, the map pre-dates the creation of the Three Municipalities in 1836, a division created to address the concerns of the Anglo and French-Creole communities. On March 8, 1836, the state legislature amended New Orleans' original 1805 charter by dividing the city "into three separate sections, each with distinct municipal powers." The First Municipality would include the French Quarter and Faubourg Treme; the Second Municipality would run from Canal Street to the upper city limit of Felicity Street, and the Third Municipality spanned from Esplanade Avenue down to the present-day St. Bernard Parish line. The three municipalities were then sectioned into wards, each of which elected a number of aldermen based on their population size.
The title of the map is identical to Jacques Tanesse's important and decorative map of New Orelans, published in 1815. The layout of the map is very similar, leading us to believe that this map is derived from the Tanesse map.
The State Library of Museum collection illustratres an example of the map and we previously noted a copy of the same or similar map in the History New Orleans Collection, referring to the map only as " Engraving with leather cover," but giving no size.
We note only these two records -- no other recorded examples. The present example was previously sold by us in 2011 and was reacquired in 2018.