Rare, large format, color-lithographed Russian map of Jerusalem published in 1885 by the Russian Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society.
The map is printed in five colors, with topography shown by contour lines. It records information of use to Russian Orthodox pilgrims, including demographic data and the various quarters. The map illustrates large Jewish Quarters (Еврейский Кварталъ ) and Muslim Quarters (Мусульманский Кварталъ). As well as the Russian Orthodox districts. T
The key in the upper right notes, for instance, АШK. is the abbreviation for Ashkenazim.
The mapmakers are given as Wilson, Shik, and Zimmerman.
The Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society (IOPS) is an international scientific and humanitarian organization established in Russia in 1882, whose statutory tasks are the promotion of Orthodox pilgrimage to the Holy Land, Palestinian studies, Oriental studies and humanitarian cooperation with the peoples of the Middle East.
This map was published in 1885 before the Society added "Imperial" to its name.
The Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society (Russian: Императорское православное палестинское общество), was founded in 1882.
The Society s a scholarly organization for the study of the Middle East. Following the Russian Revolution of 1917, the society was renamed the Russian Palestine Society (Russian: Российское Палестинское Общество) and attached to the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. Its original name was restored by the society on May 22,1992.