Nice example of this reduced example of Diego Garcia Conde's seminal map of Mexico City.
Brigadier General Diego Garcia Conde's Plano general de la Ciudad de México is generally regarded as the most important plan of Mexico City in the nineteenth century. Garcia Conde initially undertook his survey during the period New Spain was governed by Juan Vicente de Güemes Pacheco de Padilla Horcasitas, the second Count of Revillagigedo, who is credited with the modernization and dramatic improvement of Mexico City (r. 1789-94).
Güemes ordered the beautification of walks, squares, and alleys, introduced rental carts, and organized the police service. These endeavors converted Mexico City into what would become known as the "City of Palaces." To improve communication and commercial traffic, Güemes ordered the design and construction of a network of modern roads, emphasizing the routes from Mexico City to Veracruz, and ordered engineering works to save ravines and rivers.
The map was first published in Mexico City circa 1807 and engraved by the renowned artist, José Joaquín Fabregat. The original map plates were destroyed and very few examples of the original survive. The map was re-engraved in a much smaller edition in 1811 in London (second edition). A third edition, created in 1830, following Mexico's independence, with revisions by Calvo. Rafael María Calvo was a retired officer of the Regiment of Infantry of the Spanish Royal Engineers.