Highly detailed wall map of the Philippines, originally published by the Spanish Hydrographical Department in Madrid, in 1875 and corrected to 1888.
The present example of the map was modified and re-issued by the US War Department, adding the following information:
- Military Telegraph Lines
- Military Cable Lines
- Eastern Cable Company's Lines
- MIlitary Department Boundaries
The map is apparently very rare. AMPR and RBP locate no prior examples in auctions or dealer catalogs.
The Dirección de Hidrografía, or the Directorate of Hydrographic Works, was established in 1797. Its roots were in the Casa de Contratación, founded in 1503 in Sevilla, which housed all the charts of the Spanish Empire and oversaw the creation and maintenance of the padrón real, the official master chart. The Casa, now in Cadiz, was shuttered in 1790, but Spain still needed a hydrographic body. In response, the Dirección was created in 1797. One of its first projects was the publication of charts from the Malaspina Expedition (1789-1794). The Dirección oversaw not only publication, but also surveying. The Dirección was abolished in the early twentieth century, when their work was distributed to other organizations.