Sign In

Forgot Password Create Account
Stock# 53747
Description

Marvelous early birdseye view of Yale University.

Fine early view of Yale University drawn by Richard Rummell, centered on Osborne Hall (now demolished and replaced with Bingham Hall).

Chapel Street runs in front of the hall and Temple Street can be seen running northward towards East Rock. Many of the extant buildings of the historic Old Campus, including Connecticut Hall (1752), are easily recognizable. Welch Hall and Lawrance Hall stand alongside College street, across from the New Haven Green which is complete with the three chapels that still stand today: United Church on the Green (Congregational, 1814), Center Church (Congregational, 1812), and Trinity Episcopal Church On the Green (1816).

At the turn of the century, Littig & Company commissioned a number of artists, including the accomplished artist Richard Rummell (1848-1924), to create watercolors of some of the nations most prestigious colleges. From these water colors, engravings in photogravure were made on copper plates and distributed, in limited number, to the various schools and to a few art dealers throughout the country. Many may still be seen in the Administration building and in the offices of the Deans in many of the region's finest schools.

These prints differs widely from other college prints in their panoramic quality: indeed, in many cases, they offer the only panoramic views available today. Each artist visited a campus and conferred with the Administration about future buildings authorized for the school. He would then draw these projected buildings into the campus scene, which was projected from an apparent altitude of about 300 feet. In some cases, this gives the viewer the impression that the scene was painted perhaps ten years later. On a few occasions, building plans were subsequently altered which resulted in an inaccurate depiction of the college.

Condition Description
Two tears, expertly repaired on verso.