Sign In

Forgot Password Create Account
Description

Rare Subdivision Map for Trousdale Estates

Original subdivision promotional broadside map showing Trousdale Estates, apparently some sort of early photographic reproduction of a printed original.

Trousdale Estates

Trousdale Estates is a neighborhood of Beverly Hills, which originally belonged to Mrs. Lucy Smith Doheny Battson, wife of Edward L. Doheny, Jr. (1893-1929), son of oil tycoon Edward L. Doheny (1856-1935). This larger tract was known as the Doheny Ranch or the Doheny Estate; and included the Greystone Mansion.

In 1954, Paul Trousdale (1915-1990) purchased the grounds, while the mansion was purchased by industrialist Henry Crown (1896-1990). Shortly after, Trousdale convinced the Beverly Hills City Council to add the neighborhood to the city, which they accepted, and he renamed it the Trousdale Estates.

Trousdale first built 532 original lots, all subject to strict regulations devised by the Architectural Committee. Early houses were designed by renowned architects Wallace Neff (1895-1982), Paul R. Williams (1894-1980), A. Quincy Jones (1913-1979), Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959) and Harold Levitt (1922-2003). Allen Siple (1900-1973) acted as the supervising architect.