Sign In

Forgot Password Create Account

Fine mid-19th-century facsimile of one of the earliest surviving manuscript plans of New York City.

The so-called "Duke's Plan" resides in the British Library and is a part of the King's Topographical Collection. The Britsh Library description of the plan is as follows:

This anonymous plan is . . . likely . . . an English copy of a map made for the Dutch authorities in 1661 by Jacques Cortelyou which may have been handed over to the English by the last Dutch governor, Pieter Stuyvesant following his surrender of the town in September 1664.
This map of New York may well have been created from the original Dutch map by one of several draughtsmen living in alleys in the docklands east of the Tower of London who specialised in decorative chart-making. English ships can be clearly seen in the harbour emphasisng their victory over the Dutch.
The town wall, that was to give its name to Wall Street and the Battery (or fortification), the site of which is now covered by Battery Park, can also be identified. The map's name recalls its presentation to the Duke of York, the future James II, at the time when he was being asked for permission for the town to be renamed after him. The map formed part of the royal map collection from then on, eventually being incorporated into the geographical collections assembled by George III. These were presented to the British Museum, with George III's library, in the course of the 1820s.

This facsimile is based upon a facsimile then in the possession of George H. Moore, as of 1859.

Condition Description
Old folds (a few cleanly split) reinforced on verso.