Early lithographic copy of showing the location for what would be Saint Elizabeth's Hospital, drawn and surveyed by Frank S. Eastman.
The original manuscript map was drawn in October 1873.
The map focuses on three parcels being acquired for the land, Stevens Farm, Blagden Farm and Shepard Farm.
St. Elizabeth's was first established as the Government Hospital for the Insane by act of Congrees in August 1852, and opened in January 1855. After the Civil War and the closing of the Army's hospital, the St. Elizabeth's name was used unofficially and intermittently until 1916, when Congress passed legislation changing the name from the Government Hospital for the Insane to St. Elizabeth's Hospital