One of the First English Maps to Focus on the Interior Parts of North America
Fine example of Senex's map of Louisiana, based upon Nicolas De Fer's map of 1715 and the more widely disbursed and highly influential Guillaume De L'Isle map of 1718, which was the first map to name Texas (Tejas).
The map portrays a bold image of the Mississippi and Ohio River Valleys, as well as an early look at the great rivers flowing from the West, most notably, the Missouri River, Kansas River, Arkansas River and Red River, as well as the Rio Grande River, shown extending well into the modern day Wyoming area.
The map retains the outstanding detail of De L'Isle's map, but includes English nomenclature and translations for most of the notes. The map extends west to the Rio Grande and provides an excellent depiction of Mississippi, Missouri and other major rivers and tributaries in the region, based upon contemporary knowledge.
There are a number of annotations throughout the map, including notes on early exploration and settlement, Spanish trade with the Indians (Gold on the Upper Missouri!), and early routes of the Spanish and French explorers in the region. Florida is depicted as an Archipelago. Many Indian Villages are shown, along with the Promiscuous Nations and Nations Destroyed. Chicagou appears on Lake Michigan. Many early mines and forts are depicted.
The first English map to incorporate the landmark maps of De Fer (1715) and De L'Isle (1718).
John Senex (1678-1740) was one of the foremost mapmakers in England in the early eighteenth century. He was also a surveyor, globemaker, and geographer. As a young man, he was apprenticed to Robert Clavell, a bookseller. He worked with several mapmakers over the course of his career, including Jeremiah Seller and Charles Price. In 1728, Senex was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society, a rarity for mapmakers. The Fellowship reflects his career-long association as engraver to the Society and publisher of maps by Edmund Halley, among other luminaries. He is best known for his English Atlas (1714), which remained in print until the 1760s. After his death in 1740 his widow, Mary, carried on the business until 1755. Thereafter, his stock was acquired by William Herbert and Robert Sayer (maps) and James Ferguson (globes).