Cadwallader Colden's Map of the Five Nations -- Iroquois Indian Head Beer and Ale
Decorative promotional map for Iroquois Indian Head Beer and Ale, utlizing a map prepared by Cadwallader Colden, then Surveyor General of New York, in 1728.
The Iroquois Brewery was successor to the Jacob Roos Brewery, originally founded in 1842. The brewery was operated by Jacob Roos and, after his death, by George Roos, until 1892, when it was sold to Leonard Burgwerger. Burgwerger razed the buildings and built the Iroquois Brewing Company on the same site.
Iroquois survived prohibition by brewing soda and near beer and reopened shortly after prohibition ended in April 1933. Iroquois grew after prohibition and became the largest brewer in Buffalo.
In the 1950s, Iroquois merged with a group of other regional brewers and formed the International Brewing Company. Iroquois' partners in this venture included Silver Bar (Tampa, FL), Frankenmuth (Frankenmuth, MI), and Old Dutch (Findlay, OH). At the time of its closing in 1971, Iroquois had outlived all other Buffalo breweries except for William Simon, which closed a couple of years later.