Rare Illustrated San Francisco Advertising Map
Rare illustrated 19th Century San Francisco advertising map, which incorporates a map of the San Francisco Business District with finely illustrated advertisements on the front and back of the map.
The map would appear to date to the late 1880s or early 1890s. J.W. Hughes engraved his only recorded map in 1889.
The advertising on the front of the map includes:
- Napa Valley Wine Co.
- Arpad Haraszthy & Co. -- Fine Table Wines
- Taber (Photographers)
- The Pelton Water Wheel Co.
- The Travelers Ins. Co.
- Schmidt Label and Lithographic Co.
- Nathan Dohrmann & Co. Crockery Cutlery Glassware & Lams
- Byron Jackson Engines & Boilers
- C.H. Street & Co. Real Estate Agents
- Paolo Isola & Co. -- Dealers in Vegetables
- J. MacDonough & Co. Coal & Pig Iron
- Palace Pharmacy
- Dodge Sweeney & Co.
- Troy Laundry Machine Co.
- A Paladini (Fish)
- Capitol Mills' Rolled Oats
- California Electric Works
- J.P. Lartigau Commison Merchant (Eggs, Butter, Cheese, Poultry)
On the verso there are also advertisements for:
- Hotel Del Monte
- William Doxey Fine, Rare & Standard Books
- W & J Sloane Furniture & Carpets
- Palace Hotel
- Murphy Grant & Co. Dry Goods
- Kodak / Partridge Photography
- Z.W. Moore Fruits
- Boston Oyster House
- Armes & Dallam Wooden and Willow Ware
The map is extremely rare. We locate no other recorded examples.