Large 19th Century Transit Map of Washington, DC
Finely detailed plan of the City of Washington with all governent parks, monuments and major buildings depicted and named.
The map includes a list of the operating street railways, including:
- Washington and Georgetown Co. (red)
- Metropolitan Co. (blue)
- Capitol, North O and South Washington Co. (green)
- Columbia Co. (yellow)
- Anacostia Co. (purple)
- Eckington & Soldier's Home Co. (black)
- Rock Creek Co. (hyphenated black)
- Tenallytown Co. (brown), Georgetown Barge
- Dock & Elevator Co. (hyphenated purple)
- Brightwood Avenue Co. (hyphenated yellow)
"Proposed" lines include D of C Suburban RR, Washington and Maryland RR, Eckington and S. Home RR (sounds familiar), Rock Creek RR, Washington and Gr. Falls RR, and lastly Anacostia R.R. (extended).
The Baltimore & Potomac R.R. crosses Eastern Branch and proceeds west past the Navy Yard and north to its Depot at Armory Square on the northeast end of The Mall with a line continuing across the Potomac on Long Bridge.
The Washington Branch of the B & O R R comes in from the northeast culminating in a depot near the current Union Station.
A scarce large format map of the City.