Striking map of Washington DC, hand colored by wards, with large vignettes of the Capital Building, Washington Monument and the Smithsonian.
Shows streets, major government buildings, military facilities, hospitals, railroad lines, bridges and a host of other early details. One of the best atlas maps of the city to appear in the mid-19th Century and the proto-type map of Washington for the next 25 years.
G. W. & C. B. Colton was a prominent family firm of mapmakers who were leaders in the American map trade in the nineteenth century. The business was founded by Joseph Hutchins Colton (1800-1893). who bought copyrights to existing maps and oversaw their production. By the 1850s, their output had expanded to include original maps, guidebooks, atlases, and railroad maps. Joseph was succeeded by his sons, George Woolworth (1827-1901) and Charles B. Colton (1831-1916). The firm was renamed G. W. & C. B. Colton as a result. George is thought responsible for their best-known work, the General Atlas, originally published under that title in 1857. In 1898, the brothers merged their business and the firm became Colton, Ohman, & Co., which operated until 1901, when August R. Ohman took on the business alone and dropped the Colton name.