Birds-eye view of Port Jackson, New South Wales showing wharves and jetties proposed to be constructed, boundary of area vested in the Sydney Harbour Trust Commissioners and areas appropriated for railway purposes.
The map includes a fine detailed depiction of the modernization of Sydney Harbor at the beginning of the 20th Century.
Sydney Harbour Trust
The Sydney Harbour Trust was formed by the New South Wales Parliament in 1900 to oversee for the Navigation Department and Marine Board of Sydney Harbour. The Trust consisted of three commissioners (including one titled as President - Walter Loveridge CMG ) appointed by the Governor of New South Wales. It was responsible for the improvement and preservation of Sydney's port.
The trust regulated the movement of vessels and the handling of cargo in the port through a Harbour Master, carried out dredging operations, removed wrecks, granted licenses for the erection of piers, maintained wharf facilities and collected wharfage rates, maintained swimming baths. The trust also managed fire fighting and other safety equipment within the harbour. All foreshores, lighthouses and tugs within the harbour which belonged to the Government were vested in the Trust, as well as the power to reclaim land. The Trust was terminated in 1936, with its responsibilities assumed by the Maritime Services Board.
The view is apparently very rare. OCLC locates only the example at the National Library or Australia.