Sign In

Forgot Password Create Account
Stock# 47104
Description

The First Map of San Diego's Middletown

Rare Certified Copy of an original manuscript map of Middletown (San Diego), filed by the original referees appointed to partition and resolve various land disputes arising in early San Diego History.

The map encompasses the area between Broadway and the Broadway pier in the south and Old town, covering a narrow strip of land between Downtown (Horton's Addition?) and Old Town.

Today, the neighborhood consists of Little Italy and the area below Mission Hills.

This map was prepared in conjunction with early Southern Pacific Railroad litigation in the City of San Diego.

Middletown, San Diego

Historically, Middletown was one of four large areas of land within what is now the city of San Diego and in 1874 was undeveloped land. On October 21, 1874, in the San Diego Superior Court Case of Baldwin v. Couts, No. 869, (hereinafter referred to as Baldwin action) a partition decree for Middletown was signed in the 18th Judicial District of the State of California.

The Baldwin action was brought to determine the conflicting claims and interests of numerous persons and entities in and to the real property of Middletown. The city of San Diego, the county of San Diego and the predecessors in interests of plaintiffs were among the parties named and appearing in the Baldwin action. Before October 21, 1874, the trial court appointed referees to partition Middletown.

The report of the referees, dated October 21, 1874, was filed in the Baldwin case. The referees had a survey and map prepared subdividing Middletown into lots, blocks and streets. The map was referred to and by reference made a part of the decree in the Baldwin action. This map is commonly referred to as [163 Cal. App. 2d 67] "J. E. Jackson Map," "J. E. Jackson Partition Map," "J. E. Jackson Partition Map of 1874," "Map of Middletown made by J. E. Jackson."

In the Baldwin decree each litigant was given certain property described by lot or lots and block with reference to the J. E. Jackson Map. The J. E. Jackson Partition Map was filed in the county clerk's office October 19, 1874 and the Baldwin decree was filed and became part of the official records of the county of San Diego.