Sign In

Forgot Password Create Account
Description

Scarce detailed engraved chart of Milford Haven in Wales, showing the towns of Pembroke and Haverford, and some of the course of the River Cleddau. The map includes a key in the upper left elaborating the extensive coastal defenses dedicated to the area.

The map was authored by Thomas Jefferys, one of the premiere mapmakers of mid-18th century England and a proponent of the authoritative and dispassionate mapmaking on display here.

Milford Haven is an important natural harbor on the Welsh coast; it was one of the objectives of the doomed Spanish Armada, and in the late 18th century it served as a shipbuilding port for the Royal Navy.

Condition Description
On two sheets joined.
Thomas Jefferys Biography

Thomas Jefferys (ca. 1719-1771) was a prolific map publisher, engraver, and cartographer based in London. His father was a cutler, but Jefferys was apprenticed to Emanuel Bowen, a prominent mapmaker and engraver. He was made free of the Merchant Taylors’ Company in 1744, although two earlier maps bearing his name have been identified. 

Jefferys had several collaborators and partners throughout his career. His first atlas, The Small English Atlas, was published with Thomas Kitchin in 1748-9. Later, he worked with Robert Sayer on A General Topography of North America (1768); Sayer also published posthumous collections with Jefferys' contributions including The American Atlas, The North-American Pilot, and The West-India Atlas

Jefferys was the Geographer to Frederick Prince of Wales and, from 1760, to King George III. Thanks especially to opportunities offered by the Seven Years' War, he is best known today for his maps of North America, and for his central place in the map trade—he not only sold maps commercially, but also imported the latest materials and had ties to several government bodies for whom he produced materials.

Upon his death in 1771, his workshop passed to his partner, William Faden, and his son, Thomas Jr. However, Jefferys had gone bankrupt in 1766 and some of his plates were bought by Robert Sayer (see above). Sayer, who had partnered in the past with Philip Overton (d. 1751), specialized in (re)publishing maps. In 1770, he partnered with John Bennett and many Jefferys maps were republished by the duo.