Rare Set of Sailing Directions for the Gulf of Florida and environs by J.S. Hobbs, published in London in 1853.
An extremely rare work, which covers the region between Florida, Jamaica, Cub and the Bahamas, with chapters on:
- Tortugas, Florida Reefs, Kayus and the Florida Coast from Cape Florida to Cape Canaveral
- Dry Tortugas and Martyrs or Florida Kays and Reefs
- General Remarks on the Martyr Reef and Inlets, with a Description of the Martyr Islands
- Directions for sailing Eastward through the Hawke Channel (Duck Key and Long Key)
- Directions for running downinside of hte Rres from Cape Florida to Key West
- The Eastern Coast of Florida to Cape Canaveral
- Description of the Florida, or Gulf Stream
The pamphlet is extremely rare. We note only the example in the British Library. We note also editions of 1860 (OCLC Locating a single example at the University of Michigan). We note one other similar title, a 1828 J.W. Norie & Co. P iloting directions for the Gulf of Florida, the Bahama Banks and islands, and the adjacent coasts of Cuba and Florida: . . . (2 copies located -- University of Miami and Peabody Essex Museum).