Detailed plat of the center of Harford, Rhode Island, with annotations reflecting what would appear to be the progress of lot sales.
The map shows the subdivision of the area which had for decades been the location of the Merino Mill and the Merino Village, the earliest development of the region in the early 19th Century.
In the early nineteenth century, the proximity of the Woonasquatucket River allowed the area to begin industrialization. In 1812, the Merino Mill became the second textile establishment in the general area, producing a soft material called "merino cloth". Built in an area which was then part of the Town of Johnston, the Merino Mill was complimented by Merino Village, consisting of stone houses, a general store, water supply, and was built by the company to support its workers.