Faden's battle plan of the actions on the Hudson River extending from Haverstraw Bay and Verplanks Point to just North of Fort Montgomery.
In the south, the transports at Kings Ferry are shown, with notes on the troop landings on October 6th-7th and a detachment sent west to occupy the pass. Up river near Fort Independence is the Preston Come. Hotham, Tartar, and Mercury are shown, along with the Galley's under Wallace. To the west, several overland movements are noted, including Vaughan & Tryon's and Campbell's detachment. Near Ft. Montgomery are several burning Galley's and Frigates, along with a battle and path of retreat of the Americans.
On October 6, 1777, a combined force of roughly 2,100 Loyalists, Hessians, and British regulars led by Lieutenant General Sir Henry Clinton, attacked Fort Montgomery and Clinton from the landward side (which was only partially completed) with support from cannon fire from British ships on the Hudson River. The land columns attacking from west of the fort consisted of the New York Volunteers, the Loyal American Regiment, Emmerich's Chasseurs, and the 57th and 52nd Regiments of Foot. By the end of the day, both forts had fallen to the British, who burned the forts and tore down the stonework buildings.
The campaign against Fort Montgomery and Clinton caused delays that gave American forces the upper hand at the Battle of Bemis Heights in Saratoga. Reinforcements for British General John Burgoyne were too far to the south forcing Burgoyne to surrender at Saratoga ten days later. The end result was a pyrrhic victory for the British.
William Faden (1749-1836) was a prominent London mapmaker and publisher. He worked in close partnership with the prolific Thomas Jeffreys from 1773 to 1776. In 1783, Faden assumed ownership of the Jeffreys firm and was named Geographer to the King in the same year. Faden specialized in depictions of North America and also commanded a large stock of British county maps, which made him attractive as a partner to the Ordnance Survey; he published the first Ordnance map in 1801. The Admiralty also admired his work and acquired some of his plates which were re-issued as official naval charts. After retiring in 1823 the lucrative business passed to James Wyld, a former apprentice.