Early edition of GW & CB Colton's map of the Southwest, showing the earliest Nevada-Utah Territorial Border, shortly after the boundary line was shifed east from 116th meridian to the 115th meridian in 1862.
Nevada is truncated at the bottom, so that Las Vegas is in Arizona. Utah is wider than its final configuration. The boundary between Nevada and Utah would be moved to the 114th meridian in 1866.
While at first blush, the map appears similar to Johnson's map of the same period, this map is vastly more detailed. There are many mining districts named and outlined in Southern California. A number of early wagon roads are shown, with US Forts each marked with American Flags. The routes surveyed by Emory, Simpson, Albert & Peck, Fremont, Gunnison, and others are shown, with years relevant to the survey. The Emigrant's Road, Fredonyers Trail and Pass, Pony Express and U.S. Mail Routes are shown. Excellent topographical detail, which includes elevations. Many Indian Tribes and other interesting places are noted, along with annotations.
An early state of this fine map of the American Southwest.
G. W. & C. B. Colton was a prominent family firm of mapmakers who were leaders in the American map trade in the nineteenth century. The business was founded by Joseph Hutchins Colton (1800-1893) who bought copyrights to existing maps and oversaw their production. By the 1850s, their output had expanded to include original maps, guidebooks, atlases, and railroad maps. Joseph was succeeded by his sons, George Woolworth (1827-1901) and Charles B. Colton (1831-1916). The firm was renamed G. W. & C. B. Colton as a result. George is thought responsible for their best-known work, the General Atlas, originally published under that title in 1857. In 1898, the brothers merged their business and the firm became Colton, Ohman, & Co., which operated until 1901, when August R. Ohman took on the business alone and dropped the Colton name.