Sign In

Forgot Password Create Account
Stock# 40994
Description

Rare Louis Brion de la Tour edition of Jaillot's map of the World, which has been significantly revised and updated to depict the routes of famous explorers in the second half of the 18th Century.

The map depicts the routes of Captain James Cook on his 3 voyages of exploration between 1769 and 1779, completed after Cook's death in Hawaii.

The map depicts a significantly improved coastline for Australia and New Zealand. The Icebergs reported by Cook on his early voyages are located, as are Hawaii and his discoveries along the Northwest Coast of America.

This edition of the map is very rare. We note the existence of several examples with a date of 1790, but this is the first time we have seen the map updated to include Cook's information with such an early date.

Louis Brion de la Tour Biography

Louis Brion de la Tour (ca. 1743-1803) was a French geographer and demographer. Little is known about Louis’ early life, but some glimpses of his professional life survive. He did achieve the title of Ingénieur Géographe du Roi. Much of his work was done in partnership with Louis Charles Desnos, who was bookseller and geographical engineer for globes to the Danish Crown. He worked on the Indicateur fidèle ou guide des voyageurs, qui enseigne toutes les routes royales between 1762 and 1785. During his career he also worked on several atlases. By 1795, he had gained a pension from the National Assembly. Perhaps this pension was granted in part because his son, also Louis Brion de la Tour (1763-1823), was an engraver who made Revolutionary prints, as well as maps.

Alexis-Hubert Jaillot Biography

Alexis-Hubert Jaillot (ca. 1632-1712) was one of the most important French cartographers of the seventeenth century. Jaillot traveled to Paris with his brother, Simon, in 1657, hoping to take advantage of Louis XIV's call to the artists and scientists of France to settle and work in Paris. Originally a sculptor, he married the daughter of Nicholas Berey, Jeanne Berey, in 1664, and went into partnership with Nicholas Sanson's sons. Beginning in 1669, he re-engraved and often enlarged many of Sanson's maps, filling in the gap left by the destruction of the Blaeu's printing establishment in 1672.