Fine large format map of Eastern Canada, Hudson's Bay and the Great Lakes, published by Mortier in 1696.
The map is a significantly enlarged version of Jaillot's Le Canada ou Partie de la Nouvelle France . . . first published in 1685.
Kershaw describes Mortier's map as "one of the more spectacular maps of Canada." Mortier's map is largely based on Alexis-Hubert Jaillot's Partie de la Nouvelle France (1685), which was in turn drawn from original English and French sources. The map's depiction of the St. Lawrence, Great Lakes, and Hudson's Bay, derives from the best available sources and reflects the best known information of the period.
The map provides a fine depiction of the lands of the Hudson's Bay Company, which had first been founded in 1670. Important early place names include 'New South Walles', 'Baye de Button', including 'Port Nelson', noting 'Thomas Buttons hivernant dans le Port de Nelson' (Thomas Button wintered there in 1612-3). The map also shows the English forts near the mouth of the 'Masebe' River (Moose Factory, founded 1673) and 'R. Rupert' (home to Rupert's Fort, founded 1668).
The map relies upon the earlier work of John Thornton, official chartmaker of the Hudson's Bay Company, first published as A Chart of ye North part of America, For Hudson Bay Commonly called North West Passage (1677). /gallery/detail/38324 Thornton, based his mapping on original manuscript sketches done by Henry Hudson, Sir Thomas Button, Thomas James, Thomas Gort and Charles Bayly.
Mortier's map also incorporates the work of Louis Jolliet, Louis Hennepin, and Jean-Baptiste Louis Franquelin. All five of the Great Lakes are shown and named, with the depiction of Lake Superior being based on Claude Dablon's 1673 map.
Pierre, or Pieter, Mortier (1661-1711) was a Dutch engraver, son of a French refugee. He was born in Leiden. In 1690 he was granted a privilege to publish French maps in Dutch lands. In 1693 he released the first and accompanying volume of the Neptune Francois. The third followed in 1700. His son, Cornelis (1699-1783), would partner with Johannes Covens I, creating one of the most important map publishing companies of the eighteenth century.