Sign In

Forgot Password Create Account
Stock# 39701
Description

Detailed plan of Fort Oswego and Vicinity, representing a reproduction of the original manuscript plan drawn by and based on Chaussegros de Lery, who was chief engineer of the French army, in New France.

The map reflects the French reconnaissance of this important English Fort, shortly after its construction, in 1727.

Fort Oswego was an important frontier post for British traders in the 18th century. A trading post was established in 1722, with a log palisade, and New York governor William Burnet ordered a fort built at the site in 1727. The fort established a British presence on the Great Lakes. During the French and Indian War, this fort was captured and destroyed by the French, in 1756. The site is now included in the city of Oswego, New York.

From Documentary History of the State of New York, published in 1850, based upon an original, published circa 1760.