Detailed view of Kannur in India.
Kannur is sometimes identified with Naura, in Periplus of the Erythraean Sea. In the Middle Ages, Kannur was a port town of Kolathunadu, which was ruled by the Kolathiris. The city was an important port on the Laccadive Sea and carried on trade with Persia and Arabia in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. It also served as the British military headquarters on India's west coast, until 1887. In conjunction with her sister city, Tellicherry, it was the third largest city on the western coast of British India in the eighteenth century, after Bombay and Karachi.
Veera Kerala Varma Pazhassi Raja- Painting by Raja Ravi Varma
St. Angelo Fort was built in 1505 by Dom Francisco de Almeida, the first Portuguese Viceroy of India. It is situated by the Laccadive Sea about 2 miles from Kannur town. In 1507, the fort was besieged by the local ruler in the Siege of Cannanore (1507), nevertheless the Portuguese rule over Cananor (as it was then known), would last 158 years only, to be replaced by the Dutch. The ownership of the fort has changed hands several times.