One of the earliest printed views of any part of Texas and the first to show Corpus Christi.
The view was published as part of D.F. Whiting's Army Portfolio (New York, 1847), which contained five lithographs relating to the Mexican War; the other four show scenes in Mexico. Each was prepared by the distinguished firm of Endicott.
General Zachary Taylor commanded the United States forces ordered to Texas after annexation. In September 1845, he established his base camp on the beach at Corpus Christi, which was then a small village of about fifty families. By March of 1846, when the American forces moved south to the Rio Grande, the camp housed nearly one-half of the United States Army. Whiting shows Corpus Christi Beach looking south, with the three Brigades in place by October 1845 camped near the water. These were commanded by General Worth, Col. Twiggs and Col. Whistler respectively.