Fine example of this large format map of Newark and East Newark, one of the earliest printed maps of the City.
Extends from Belmont Place in the West to Quary Street and Bridge Street (the Road to New York) in the North, Baldwin Avenue in the East and Delaware Avenue and Camp-town Road in the South.
The Morris Canal is shown, as is the New Jersey Railroad. Several Parks and Bridges are shown, along with the various docks on the west side of the River.
While founded in 1666, Newark began to thrive with the the arrival of Seth Boyden in 1815, commencing a boom in leather manufacturing. The Morris Canal was completed in 1831, and the Railroads arrived in 1834 and 1385, making the town and important shipping center.