Detailed engineering plan showing the area around Camden Goods Yard, including Distillery and other facilities of W & A Gilbey's Gin Company, established by Walter & Alfred Gilbey in London in 1856 and distillers of Gin since 1872.
Oriented with northeast at the top, the plan shows the area immediately north of Regent's Park. Gilbey's Distillery can be seen at the right of the map on the Regent's Canal, immediately above Oval Road and Southampton Bridge and to the right of Upper James Street. Further to the north, the Horse Tunnel is shown, leading to Gilbey's Bottle Warehouse on Commercial Place. To the right of the Tunnel, the barge loading area is located, includng the footbridge which still crosses the canal, west of Camden High Street.
In the center of the Goods Yard, the Export Warehouse, Stables, loading bank and brick wall opposite Chalk Farm Road are shown, with the Round House at the left side of the yard, as it remains today. Other landmarks include Gilbey' Shed A, the Mainline Railway Bridge, London & Northwestern Railway line, Stables Market, and Gilbey's No.2 Bond (built in 1885). The map shown here is very similar to the Tunnel's Map illustrated in a local history on line essay on Gilbey's Gin Company and its history in London: www.locallocalhistory.co.uk/industrial-history/drinks-trade/page1.htm
One of the clues to the dating of the plan is the area to the right of the Distillery, where the name William Hucks appears. William Hucks was the engineer who built the Gilbey's Bottle Warehouse. In 1996, a century after it was built, William Huck's Bottle Store was converted into flats and called `Gilbey House'.