Rare separately issued bird's eye view of Elsinore, California.
The present example is apparently the unrecorded first edition. All other recorded examples include a title across the top and a credit at the bottom center, "Compliments of Wm. Varcoe & Co Real Estate Dealers, Elsinore, Cal." With the present example, the bottom text section is completely different and the credits read "Complimetnts of F. H. Heald, Proprietor. W.E. Hampton, Manager. As noted below, Heald was the town founder, hence we believe that this is most likely the first edition.
On October 5, 1883, Franklin H. Heald, Donald Graham and William Collier bought a portion of the former Rancho La Laguna, intending to start a new town. In 1884, the California Southern Railroad built a line from Colton through the Cañon de Rio San Jacinto (now Railroad Canyon) to link with San Diego. A rail station La Laguna was constructed near the corner of what is now Mission Trail Road and Diamond Drive. On April 9, 1888, Lake Elsinore was incorporated as a City.
While we locate several examples which include the Varcoe credit, we were unable to find any other examples of this edition of the view.