Unrecorded promotional subdivision map, showing the lands subdivided and offered for sale by the San Mateo City Homestead Association in 1870.
The map is shown superimposed over the topographical details of the area and provides a highly detailed treatment of the area which immediately southeast of Downtown San Mateo, including the area which is now Hayward Park, Sunnybrae Park and Central San Mateo. County Road, which dissects the map, is now South El Camino Real. Several buildings are already shown as constructed on lots at the bottom of Sycamore Street, and between Lily and Rose Streets. Several Bridges are located across the river, as are the Female Seminary, St. Rahle, Hayward Corner, and lands owned by Cassey, Whipple, Butler and Donald.
At the bottom right, an area map shows the location of the San Mateo City Homestead lands, the names of neighboring landowners and early roads, railroads, etc.
The San Mateo City Homestead Assocation was created in 1869 and commence advertsing the sale of lots almost immediately thereafter.
George H. Goddard came to California in 1850. In 1855, he surveyed a part of the boundary between California and Utah Territory (now Nevada). He later surveyed for the Western Pacific Railroad and for John Charles Fremont. He also surveyed most of the important passes Sierra Nevada Mountains. Mount Goddard still bears the name of this important early surveyor.
In 1855, Goddard compiled a manuscript map of California on a scale of two miles to the inch. The map was a remarkable improvement on the best available maps, so much so that Marlette, the State's Surveyor General petitioned the California legislature to purchase Goddard's map, stating that nowhere else can so complete and extensive a map be obtained. After the legislature rejected the proposal, Goddard submitted a version of the manuscript to Britton & Rey, who lithographed and published it for the first time in 1857.
We have been unable to locate any other example of this map.