Fine early birdseye view of Hiawatha, Kansas, drawn by T.M. Fowler.
The view shows buildings, streets, the St. Joe & Denver Railroad, and a large key, identifying 16 points of interest.
Hiawatha was founded in 1857. John M. Coe, John P. Wheller, and Thomas J. Drummond were instrumental in organizing the city, and the site was staked out February 17, 1857. B.L. Rider reportedly was responsible for naming Hiawatha, taking the young Indian's name from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem, The Song of Hiawatha.
Hiawatha became the Brown County Seat in 1858, and the first school opened in 1870. The main street was designated Oregon Street after the Oregon Trail. Parallel streets north of it were named after Indian tribes north of the Trail, and streets south carried tribal names of those south of the Trail.
OCLC locates only 1 example of the view ( Univerity of Kansas) and a photocopy of the UK copy held by the Library of Congress.