Rare early map of the western part of Marin County and Sonoma County, promoting the lines of the North Pacific Coast Railroad.
The map shows the railroad line, along with a number of towns, rivers, Agricultural Lands, Dairy Lands, Redwood areas, etc.
The North Pacific Coast Railroad (NPC) was a narrow gauge steam railroad operating in Marin and Sonoma, which commenced business in 1874, and was later sold in 1902 to new owners who renamed it the North Shore Railroad (California) (NSR), at which time it was converted into a standard gauge electric railroad.
The NPC carried redwood lumber, local dairy and agricultural products, express and passengers, from a pier at Sausalito (which connected the line via ferry to San Francisco) to Duncanville on the Russian River.
The map is apparently unrecorded. There are traces of old folds, suggesting it may be from an early pamphlet. The original 1873 pamphlet promoting the line included a folding map, but his would seem to be a bit later. The Marin County Free Library holds a map with a similar title in an archive of material from the Railroad, but there is insufficient information to identify the map.