Sign In

Forgot Password Create Account
Stock# 31983
Description

Striking engraving of the Jasper Park Lodge, celebrating its construction in 1921-22, with lake in the foreground, issued by the Canadian National Railroad.

In 1813, a fur trade outpost named Jasper House was established by the North West Company at the entrance of the Rocky Mountains. For twenty years, it supported the Hudson's Bay Company's traffic over the mountains via Athabasca Pass. This post was responsible for meeting the transportation and supply demands, caring for horses and trading goods for meat and furs with the local Aboriginal groups which included Iroquois and M├ętis.

In 1907, Jasper became a National Park. A townsite was established by Grand Trunk Pacific Railway in 1911. The Grand Trunk Pacific Railway tore down Jasper House and used the materials to build rafts. Jasper was originally named Fitzhugh after a Grand Trunk Vice President and was later renamed Jasper in 1913 after the original outpost.

The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge has a firmly embedded place in the history of tourism in the Canadian Rockies. Its legacy began in 1915, originally called "Tent City," it consisted of ten large tents located on the shores of Lac Beauvert, each with wooden floors and walls. There was also a main dining tent that turned into a social area in the evening for guests to play cards and visit.

In 1921 Canadian National Railways took over Tent City. They immediately renovated the existing camp to eight log cabins, and officially opened in June of 1922. Expansion proceeded through the year with additional guest cabins. The main building was touted as the largest single-story log structure in the world.

The present example is number 347 of 500, likely issued by the railroad as a commemorative.

Condition Description
Minor soiling and one blemish in the clouds. Laid on a think cardstock backing, probably as issued.