Detailed water board (commission) map of the north part of Holland, based upon the 16 sheet map of Johannes Dou, published in 1680.
A fine 4 sheet reduction of the 16 sheet map of the region, surveyed by Johannes Dou (1642-1682) in 1680, and engraved by Coenraet Decker (1651-1685). Abraham Deur was responsible for cutting the letters.
This map was utilized to record the location of the many canals and land owners in the region depicted, in order to allow the water board to assess taxes and make other decisions.
This map is a typical example of the cartography of river maps. In order to be able to protect the lower area in Holland against the sea and rivers, there were several water commissions in West-Netherlands, responsible for the management and care of the territory. The top is decorated with coats of arms of the representatives of the polder board of commissioners, Joan van Egmont van der Nyenburch, Auwel Prins, Frederick Ramp, Pieter Vryburgh, Joan Roocker and Willem Baert.