Rare plan of Temeswar (Timisoara), near the Timis River in Romania, published by Gaspar Bailleul in Paris.
Because of Timisoara's strategic location, the Ottomans made repeated attempts to capture the fortress during their 16th campaigns against the Kingdom of Hungary. Although the Hungarians suffered a devastating loss at the Battle of Mohács in 1526, Timisoara was not conquered by the Ottomans until October 1551.
The city was transformed into the administrative center of an Ottoman province, the Province of Temesvar. The fortress was rebuilt and used as a major military base by the Ottomans. The present map shows the Habsburg Imperial armies led by Prince Eugene of Savoy retaking Temswar in October 1716. Eugene entered the city on October 18 and named one of his officers, Claudius Florimund Mercy, as governor of the city. Because the town had burned down during the siege, the city was completely rebuilt under Mercy's supervision. Timisoara was officially conceded to the Austrian Habsburg Monarchy by the Ottomans in the Treaty of Passarowitz of 1718.
The map shows the area in remarkable detail, including roads, bridges smaller rivers, towns, along with the troop movements and fortications of both armies during the siege. The positions and encampments are identified in great detail, including the names of many of the important commanding officers.
The map is quite scarce, with only no appearance on the market in the past 25 years.